Skip to main content

The New Facebook: Advertising, God & Your Puppy

Two years ago, I joined Facebook.  I soon after started a blog and when I write in it, I post a link.  For those people who are interested, it is there to check out.  I do not post my entire blog for the world to avoid.  I provide a link.  I think it let's people know they can get to know me better if they choose.  The key word is: choose.  Every morning now I wake up to post after post of posts of pictures or plugs for businesses.  They are usually followed by posts repeating this.  One recent morning I counted 16 posts in a row, by one person.  It was flat out annoying.  How about one post, with a link to all of these photos and write-ups. When did Facebook become the social network for business owners?  Isn't that what Angie's list is for?  Listen, if you're in the food service industry and you have a facebook page for your business, that is fine, because the people who see this have agreed to be friends with your companies page.  It seems to me, that if you need to post your company's information, but rarely add anything of interest about yourself, then you mat be just that shallow.  If I opened a business, I might through out the occasional link, but I'd invite people to see my page. I'd have my website listed on my info page and that would be it.  To bash people over the head with self promotion is tacky.  Although where I live, that sells, so who am I to say.

I don't think most people got the memo when they tried to stop spam e-mails, but could you stop posting about God on Facebook?  Do you think a higher power really takes pride in a bunch of shut-ins writing over and over about whether or not the word God is on a dollar bill?  Somehow I don't think Mr. Omnipotent is concerned with our treasury department and our currency.  He's too busy killing children in Somalia and flooding our basements.  Seriously, I'm not bashing your beliefs (Santa and The Easter Bunny), but I don't want to read about it.  If you're niece gets christened, OK, I get get.  I just don't need to hear that if I don't re-post your message my first born will be turned into a chimp.  The religious propaganda on Facebook is nauseating.  Put it this way.  If you are using God's name to ask for prayer for the lost souls of 9/11, ask yourself this.  Didn't God cause it?  Just sayin'!

Finally, the pet pictures.  I have numerous good friends who can't stop posting pictures of their pets and it is making me sick.  I don't care about your dog or cat.  I definitely don't need to see them dressed like some freakish diva or a motorcycle gang member.  Please do not misinterpret what I am saying.  I think it's wonderful you love your pet.  Chances are, should I meet them, I'd love them too, but I don't want to see ten pics of your kids, so I  definitely don't want to see said number of Fido. 

I love animals.  I had a twenty minute conversation with my friends cat this morning asking her to put in a good word for me so she wouldn't get mad.  When speaking to Muffin, I asked her to wake up mommy.  She didn't, but did tell me she'd love some cat snacks.  I worry, my new found relationship will end before it began and I've already began legal actions for visitation rights for the cats.  Something tells me the state of New York is going to side with the mother, who happens to be their owner.  Free Cats!

Listen, I constantly throw my views and opinions around on Facebook, but I'm not doing it to make a profit.  I'm not cramming my religious views down your throat.  I'm not boring you with pics of my dog or cats.  Can we all use this network for what it was meant for?  Wasting time and telling people about out illustrious lives. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo