Skip to main content

The Best Days of 2011

Let me start off by saying that the last two, maybe three years have not been my finest.  I've had some good times and I've had some bad, but for the most part my life has been in disarray.  I've made mistakes and I've made some good choices.  I've been hurt and I've hurt others.  I have trusted those I shouldn't have and forgot about some I should have paid more attention to.  I've lost people and have friends who have lost loved ones.  I've been angry and I've been thrilled.  I've run the gamut of emotions almost on a daily basis and most of you have read all about it.  I have been an open book since "finding" Facebook and part of my thinks that must change.  There are some who love being a topic or a mention in my blog, but there are others who wish to remain anonymous.  I really need to find an outlet for a lot of my frustration and boredom.  I also need to find a source for more happiness.  All that being said, I've had some good times.  Obviously, I'm not going to speak of some things that are too personal, but I will mention some days that truly stood out for me.

In mid February, I rented a car and drove to my father's house.  I had a lot on my mind at the time and really needed a break from home.  It was while driving, listening to music and just taking in the scenery that I really felt like I need to make changes in my life.  Some have been made and I feel better about.  Some I've fallen a little short on.  It's a tough rode, but that day was smooth sailing.

One of the most personally productive days happened back in August, when I woke up and grabbed a pen and a pad of paper and hand wrote a story, which later became my longest blog ever.  It was called God's Test.  I wrote it literally seconds after I woke up and it took over two hours and was well over twenty pages.  It was one of the most cathartic things I've ever done.  It didn't matter that at the time, nobody would read it, because I wrote it, as many are, for me.  I just looked back at my life and thought about the fact that maybe all of this is a test.  I never really considered the possibility of a higher power, but posed the question as if there was.   I don't know why, but at the time, it was like a weight off my shoulders.  Maybe I should go back and read it myself and see if any of it makes sense eight months later.

In June, my father asked me if I would be able to come up to Ithaca and care for my grandmother.  I wasn't working, so of course I obliged.  I would have anyway, but this wasn't even an inconvenience.  I got there and as the days went on, I learned things about my grandmother I had never known.  We connected in a way we never had in 41 years.  It was a special time.  One afternoon we sat in the kitchen and talked and she gave me some advice, told me some anecdotes and we laughed.  She went in for a nap and I grabbed a cold beer and sat on the porch.  The somewhat sunny day turned dark and the wind started to blow.  It then began to rain in sheets I have only seen a few times in my life.  There was no thunder, no lightning, just the sound of the rain.  It was one of the most perfect days I've had in a while.  It was as if her sage words shielded me from the storm.

A recent wonderful day was spent with a friend in the city.  A start in Brooklyn, with some delicious food that was, correction, is the best meal I've had this year.  Then off to a cooking class where we had more delicious dishes.  It was a great day, sans the weather, but I felt like I was making up for lost time.  Seeing Brooklyn, eating great food and being with great company. I greatly appreciated being invited.

The best day was a simple day.  A day spent watching TV, laughing and eating pizza.  On this day the company was made all the difference.  It was a lazy Sunday afternoon in August.  It wasn't too hot and the door was open.  It was just one of those days.  Started with lounging in bed.  Some breakfast and then we plopped down on the couch.  We spoke about serious things, we spoke about the senseless.  We watched silly television shows and we played games on our phones.  It was an odd day for many reasons, which I will keep to myself, but let's just say, there was something important.  Something in me changed that day.  I can't say it's been all for the better, but it reminded me of how to feel.  I hadn't felt the way I did that day in quite some time and it just meant a lot.  Recently I had a chat on the phone that reminded me of that day.  It made my mood change instantly.  It's hard to hold on to those moments and sometimes I try to hold on too tight.

The best days of the last ten years have been a day off in Portsmouth, NH when I took a break from the crowd and stood in the drizzle and spoke with my parents on a pay phone for almost an hour.  My mom was sick and while it pained me to leave that summer, I knew I had to.  Another was a day where me and a few others just sat on a dock and watched the sunset.  Or the night I laid under the stars talking to a friend.  Of course there was the day before my mother died.  We talked and she apologized for something that had happened maybe 25 years before.  She remembered every detail.  Or the evening my father and I sat and listened to Ewan MacColl and Buddy Guy, sipping Johnny Walker Blue and eating cheese.  It's days like these that matter and that I store away for times like this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her