Skip to main content

Christopher Hitchens on God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nIRJVmZ4K8&feature=related

I know people have more important things in their life than to listen to me rant and rave about religion, because I have my feelings and you have yours.  I would do nothing ever to criticize anyone's beliefs unless they tried to push those beliefs on to me.  I've had it done and crushed people's attempts.  Not with contempt and nastiness, but with intelligence and common sense. The link I attached above is the genius Christopher Hitchens questioning the existence of a higher power.  It is one of the many videos in which he does so and with an eloquence that is unmatched.

During this time of year, we get a lot of religious arguments.  Christ in Christmas has already been attacked in this blog, so I'll desist.  I was raised to question everything.  In doing so, it's become evident that in my world, there is no God.  I stated on Facebook this afternoon, that I always doubted God, but after reading the Bible, it was confirmed.  Anyone who reads this fictional piece of literature, has to see how ridiculous it is to believe.  I have read the Koran cover to cover also and books on African and Native American religions as well. The problem is that most devoted followers either have never read it or don't understand it.  Any woman who believes in what the bible says is insane, because the Bible sees women as lower than slaves, which by the way, it endorses.  I appreciate people's faith as long as it isn't blind.  This is what Hitchens repeatedly preaches.

Hitchens passed yesterday.  The world lost a brilliant man, who asked nothing more than that people look at the facts and then reevaluate their beliefs based on scientific and historical facts.  He debunks many myths and misunderstood beliefs.  He crushes some of them in fact.  I've always prided myself as being understanding of everything others believe and respecting it.  Lately it seems, between politics and religion, people feel like it's their duty to convert you.  The sad fact is that the average person is not mentally equipped to do this, to anyone, let alone me.  That might sound egotistical, but I'd say ninety percent of the arguments I have on these matters end up with the person walking away or "agreeing to disagree," which is a nice way of saying, i have not more ammunition and I know you do. 

Regardless of your position on faith, I applaud you for sticking to your beliefs.  I just ask that you not cram them down my throat.  You don't post on Facebook how everyone who doesn't say Merry Christmas or believe in God is a sinner.  I ask that you read up on the science of the earth, the history of the earth, before spouting off about it's creator.  I read a lot and listened to a lot of Hitchens over the last few months, but must admit, I've never fully read any of this books.  I came across a quote today in which Hitchens explains that the only proof we have of what God looks like is man made.  He goes on to say, many believe that God made us in his image, when in fact we made him in ours. 

The man said many brilliant things, but to me, what makes him so incredibly brilliant, whether he be talking religion or politics is that his statements are so pure.  By pure, I mean, to refute them, one must give up fact and base their entire argument on opinion and sentiment and that means, for lack of a better phrase, he has already won.  I consider myself a very intelligent person and in fact at times, overly intelligent and too much of a thinker.  It is not to say I find myself to be more intelligent than everyone else, but I know I have a deeper, more thorough understanding of things than others.  What amazes me about Hitchens is the fact that I listen to him and try to think of a retort, should I disagree, but I can not.  To leave me at a loss for words, as anyone who knows me, is a difficult task.

R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her