Skip to main content

The Last Kiss

You ever think about how many times you've been with someone and you think it will last forever.  You never think that the kiss of the moment could be the last kiss.  It's not only the people you're intimate with.  I will never forget the last kiss my mother gave me or the last one I gave her, moments after she took her last breath.  That kiss will always be burned into my memory, because I knew that was the last time.  Some we can't know.  Some we're destined to remember and not always in a good way.

I remember a girl I had a crush on when I was younger.  I was in eighth grade and it was the last day of school.  I knew I wasn't going back to that school for high school and as I was saying my goodbyes, she leaned over and kissed me on the cheek.   I think I saw her once or twice after that, but I will never forget that one and only kiss. 

I remember I was dating a girl back when I was about nineteen.  She was younger and still in high school.  We were at her house and we were playing cards on her bed and she leaned over and kissed me.  Soon after I had to leave and she walked me to the door and I drove off.  I don't remember how or why, but we broke up the next day.  The funny thing is I saw her after and we acted like great friends, but to this day, I have no memory of why we broke up, but I distinctly remember everything about that kiss.

One of the cutest kisses ever was from a kid who was in a basketball class I was teaching.  It was the final day and as I always did, I walked the kids to the room where they were picked up.  I dropped them off with the chaperone and the the mother of the little girl approached me and introduced herself.   I told her what a wonderful little girl she had and showed her the picture she and her friend had painted for me in school that day.  The mom smiled and said "this may sounds weird, but my daughter wants to give you a kiss goodbye."  I blushed and agreed and the little girl came over and gave me a big hug and kissed me on the cheek."  I told her I might be back the following year, but it ended up I wasn't.  The funniest part of the whole story, was that I was working at a camp years later and she was at the camp.  I asked her if she remembered me and she was so embarrassed.  I never told anyone, because I didn't want her to get teased, but she came up to me the final day and said she remembered me and I was her favorite teacher.

There was a friend of mine who I had a previous relationship with and I went to visit her.  We hung out and watched a movie.  I had just gotten out of a long relationship and had somewhat screwed her over before I entered the relationship, but we stayed friends.  We had always had somewhat of a secretive relationship for various reasons and when I went to visit her, I didn't know what to expect.  We laid on the couch and fooled around, but she made it clear to me that we would not be having sex.  She said that the next time we could, but she wanted me to know that I had to earn her trust again.  As I left her house, we kissed and I told her I'd see her soon.  I ended up going away that summer and things our lives never did reconnect.  We're still friends, but I haven't seen her since that night and that kiss.

One kiss was somewhat inadvertent in that it wasn't something I'd normally do.  I was working at a camp and we were out drinking on our night off.  Someone who was up for a visit was at the bar and we talked the whole night.  The odd thing was while we knew each other from previous summers, we never really talked.  Partly because she was a lot younger (yes she was legal) and was a camper my first summer.  At the end of the night, I was going back to camp and she was driving back to NY.  I said goodnight to the guys and girls she was with and then said goodnight to her.  She leaned in and kissed me on the lips.  We both felt awkward and I said thank you.  She smiled and leaned in and said that she really wanted to stay.  I smiled and told her she needed to get back.  We saw each other again, but there was never any mention of it and I think we both thought it best to chalk it up to a night of drinking. 

The final kiss I'll talk about was a good friend of mine I met at the same camp.  She and I became  good friends and after every summer she spent time at my house.  My parents adored her and she loved them.  Every year she'd leave and she and I would give each other huge hugs and she'd be on her way.  One summer she stayed for about a week after camp and she and I stayed up her final night talking.  She knew she wasn't coming back and as she was leaving, she gave me a kiss and a hug and started to cry.  We knew that chances were she wasn't going to be back in the states and that we'd only see each other if i came to visit.  We kept up through e-mails for a while, but after a while that dwindled.  My mother always said, she was the one who got away.  I never did quite understand why I never attempted anything.  She was adorable, funny, great to be with and truly loved me.  I believe she's married or engaged now and I've pretty much lost contact with her, but she's always going to be one of those special people and our last kiss will always be in my heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her