Skip to main content

Best Films Of The Decade 1940-1949

Many think the greatest film of all-time was made during this decade.  Some would argue that three or four of the best were made in this decade.  I would argue none of the top ten, quite possibly none of the top 20 and possibly none of the top 30 were made in this decade.  It might even be worse than that.

Let me start by saying AFI's continued #1 Citizen Kane is a movie I despise.  I appreciate the continuous shots and the cinematography, but the movie is painfully slow, painfully boring and the ending is like a kick in the nut sack. This decade also produced everyones favorite holiday movie, It's a Wonderful Life.  I would rather watch someone break into my house and burn my Christmas tree down instead of watching this drivel.  Jimmy Stewart does for acting what cold water does for erections.  I can't emphasize how much I hate this movie.  And then there is the Grapes of Wrath.  I couldn't wait to see this.  Steinbeck! Fonda! Depression era tale! Oh my god is this movie monotonous.  It's like watching a tumbleweed roll across the desert for two and half hours.  The only difference is you actually have hope for the tumbleweed.  To be honest, I had a hard time with the 40's.  I checked my list (I'm pathetic, I know) and I could only find one 5-star movie and it's animated. 

10. Casablanca - I just don't know what it is about this movie.  I've seen it a half dozen times, even recently and I just don't get the allure.  I like Bogey, like Bergman, but the movie just doesn't do it for me.  Maybe it's those famous lines that have beaten to death.  I honestly don't know.  I know it's a good movie, but great?  Far from it.  Still, in the lean 40's it still gets a top ten nod.

9. The Big Sleep - One of the original classic film noir crime dramas casts Bogart in the role of PI Philip Marlowe.  Co-starring is Lauren Bacall.  This team oozed chemistry and this movie works because of it.  The great Howard Hawks directs.

8.  Little Women - This adaptation of the Louisa May Alcott novel stars Mary Astor,  with Elizabeth Taylor, June Allyson, Janet Leigh and Margaret O'Brien as the daughters.  The story is of a mother caring for her four kids while her husband fights in the Civil War.  What's so interesting about this film, is that it may be the only film to be listed in the top ten of two different decades.  The story is timeless. 

7. The Lost Weekend - Ray Milland stars in Billy Wilder's film about an alcoholic left alone for a weekend in which his need to drink sends him spiraling out of control. President Reagan's ex Jane Wyman co-stars.  A very scary look at alcoholism as a disease.

6. Dumbo - one of my favorite Disney films. I watched this a thousand times when my brother was little and loved it.  What's so special about this movie is that a kid will love the antics for the tiny elephant and the songs (especially the dream sequence with the pink elephants), but adults will realize it's a tale about embracing your insecurities and what makes you difference and overcoming  or appreciating that not everyone is the same.

5. Lifeboat - When I first saw this, I had no idea it was based on a Steinbeck Novel (who I like) or that it was directed by Hitchcock (who I hate...yes I am a film buff and I just said I hate Alfred Hitchcock).  It's one of those films, like 12 Angry Men or Dog Day Afternoon, where people are trapped in one spot and must come to terms with different obstacles.  This movie throws a little wrench in the works when eight survivors of a German torpedo attack cram into a life boat.  The movie's twist comes when one of the survivors reveals he is in fact a Nazi. Tallulah Bankhead, Hume Cronyn and Walter Slezak star.  It should be noted that this movie was made during the war.

4. The Treasure of Sierra Madre - Many would probably have this movie listed at the very top of the list. Maybe even without decades involved.   This John Huston film, starring Bogey, Tim Holt and Walter Huston shows three gold prospectors looking for riches with the thought that they'd split it evenly.  The movie is a tale of greed and betrayal.  A bit too long in my opinion, but definitely a classic 40's film.

3. The Maltese Falcon - Another John Huston/Bogey collaboration.  This time, Bogey plays PI Sam Spade.  Who is hired by the lovely Mary Astor to protect her.  People end up dead and Spade is on the case.  The case brings him into and underworld with three criminals trying to find a statue (the Maltese Falcon).  I always liked this movie, because it was one of the few I read before I watched.  Dashiel Hammet's novel was the inspiration.  Peter Lorre co-stars.

2. Laurence Olivier's Hamlet - Take the best Shakespearean actor ever, add one of the best Shakespeare plays and you have the perfect recipe for success.  Other than his later in life portrayal in King Lear, this is my favorite Olivier performance.  Co-stars Jean Simmons and future B-movie horror stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

1. Fantasia - made more than seventy years ago, this blend of amazing animation and incredible music is perfect.  That's all one can say.  Eight different segments come together for one incredible move.  It's been years since I've watched it beginning to end, but something tells me it's getting bumped up on my Netflix queue.

On To the 30's.  A much richer decade.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her