Skip to main content

Where Will You Be In X amount of years?

No people, the X doesn't represent the number 10, but kudos if that's what you recognized it as.  You will live long and prosper in the Roman Empire.  What I'm talking about is how far we always look down the road.  It's human nature to think ahead.  It's called vision these days, but in reality, it's nothing more than pipe dreams in most cases.  On my never ending bus trip, I thought about things have changed over the years.  My values, my desires and especially my expectations.

At 10, I thought life was easy.  School came easy to me and I knew I'd grow up to be a graduate from a wonderful Ivy League University and become a lawyer or some other high profile job.  Not to brag, but back then I always believed the smartest person would be the most successful. That was childhood naivety.

At 15, I started wondering how I could kill my parents and not get caught.  I wanted to rebel, but wasn't completely ready to give up mom's cooking and my allowance.  I was an adolescent Stewie Griffen.  Confused by my feelings.  At this point I had left a school where I was one of the cool kids and entered a whole new world.  Suburbia.  Where being popular was based on who your parents hung out with.  Your popularity was passed down like a family heirloom.  You appreciated it, but weren't really sure what to do with it or why you had it.  I saw myself as a psychologist during this time.  Helping the less fortunate who weren't sure who they were.  As I've found, those same people actually are the exact same people, just bigger and with more depressing lives.  I was noticing girls and trying to fight my shyness. I didn't know what I wanted, but I knew who.

At 20, I was the shit.  I was working outside, in pretty good shape, strong as an ox and doing OK with the ladies.  It didn't matter what the future held.  I was making more money than most my age and living life to the fullest.  I figured I'd work outside the rest of my life, hopefully own my own business and kick back and play golf.  I saw myself married in 5-10 years and probably having a kid.

At 25, I had my own business.  A fledgling roofing company which in the first six months made just enough money to be on time with the rent and the bills and to put enough money to exist.  I saw myself making this work, because I was determined.  It was then I realized working with a partner doesn't work unless you're both on the same page.  We split up soon after and I went back to school.  I wanted to be a teacher.  I also saw myself married with two kids in the next five years.

At 30, I decided school wasn't for me.  At 22 credits short, this was probably a huge mistake.  I was so close, but the reality was that I wasn't physically able to do it.  Two torn ACL's hampered me so badly I couldn't even play sports.   I still don't and the knees have grown progressively worse.  I needed to reboot my life, but I knew I wanted to continue to work with kids. I saw myself starting some kind of children directed business, but wasn't sure what.  It was then I got a job with a company that did just this.  I also saw myself in a different light emotionally.  I knew I'd make a great dad, but question my ability to be a good husband.  This conflict made me wonder if I'd ever be either.

At 35, I wanted to branch out from the company I worked for.  I got a job running the office for a friend's business and continues my school program.  It was a win-win for everyone.  I was making some money and enjoying the ability to work with kids.  I was finally happy.  I saw myself doing this for a while and was quite content.  I really started to stray from the idea I'd ever be married.  I wanted kids, but didn't want the wife.

At 40, I'm no longer with my full time job, but maintained my after school job.  I've bounced around this year, but physical pain has caused me to give up one job and has kept me from even applying to others.  I'm 40.  Unemployed and looking not only for a paycheck, but for something I can be content with for the rest of my life. Unfortunately I chose a period in this country's history that is looking at this worst employment rates in history.  The future brightness might have to rely on the sun crashing into the earth, because it's not looking good in any other way.  I have somewhat given up on the girl of my dreams and would be glad to settle for the girl that doesn't drive me crazy.  Even if that means no marriage and seeing them once or twice a week. I don't know what the future holds.  I have some ideas, but don't have the money to back them.  I have some dreams, but they seem to escape me.  I have a vision and it's a simple on; that of survival. 

I'm 45!  We'll see in four years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her