Skip to main content

Conversation with a 98-Year-old Part II

I've made her some yogurt with fruit and her waffle is heating.  I'm making an omelet with ham, tomato and onion and finishing my buttery roasted potatoes from last night's dinner.

GM: I'll have a waffle.
Me: Coming up.  There are no bagels anyway.
GM: Go buy some.
Me: I will when your aid comes.
GM:  I'm not allowed to go in the car with her.
Me:  Don't worry, I'll get it.  (I sit down to eat)
GM: Do you want the paper?
Me: Not yet. (She hands me the paper). Do you need anything from the supermarket?
GM: No, did you make a list?  ( I nod) Read it to me.
Me: Milk, bread, baking powder, mayo, bagels.  We have everything else.
GM: Do we have juice?  I like taking my pills with juice.
Me: We have plenty of juice.
GM: Are you sure?
Me: Yes.
GM: I'll have my aid get some if we don't.
Me: (I get up and pour her some) We have plenty.
GM: OK.  Is there anymore coffee?
Me: No but I can make some.
GM: No I just want to know if there is more. (I get up and see she has half a mug left).
Me:  Do you want me to heat that up?
GM: Why is there more?
Me:  I'm going to make you more
GM:.I don't want any.
Me: OK, can you think of anything you need from the store.
GM: A stamp since there are none in the house
Me: I told you when I go out I'll mail your card.
GM: You don't know where the post office is and you don't have a stamp.  Call your father and ask him where they are.
Me: No it's only 6:45 in California. I'll look it up and buy one.
GM: OK.  Don't forget, it's important.  Did you know it's your aunt's birthday today? I'm going to call her.
ME: OK, let me get you the phone.
GM: Why isn't it here?
Me: I forgot to put it back.
GM: (dials phone) She must be talking to someone else, it's busy.
Me. (starting to do the dishes) Call later.
GM: What's for dinner tonight?
Me: You said Cheryl is bringing us pasta and sauce.
GM: Oh yes, that's right. What's for lunch?  I want a hoagie.
Me:  We have tons of cold cuts here, I can make you one.
GM: Never mind. They put Italian dressing on it, you don't do that.
Me: I will. We have ham, turkey, salami and cheese. That's almost everything that goes on it.
GM: I am sick of cheese.  Do you have lettuce.
Me: Not the kind that goes on a hoagie.
GM:  OK, get me a hoagie.  I'll pay for it.
Me: OK.
GM: And while you're getting it. Don't forget to mail my card. Since you won't look for a stamp.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo...

Random Thoughts At 2:44AM

Most people I know do not care about knowing the truth or facts, they only care about being the one who passes along information. I wonder if I could privately ask people why they use social media (honestly), what their reason would be.  I don't think people without a sense of humor, realize how much fun the world can be. Even during the hard times.  So many of us spend time thinking of mistakes and regrets, but if we really think about it, we've probably dodged more bullets than missed boats.  You know when you sit by yourself reading, sipping some coffee or tea and you don't think about anything, but what you're doing? That!

2016 NFL Predictions

I skipped this last year, but will fully admit, I'd never have guessed my Broncos would be in the Super Bowl. This year, I had two clear cut favorites (Colts and Cardinals) a month ago, but things might have changed. As usual, I go through each game....yes, I predict all 256 games to come up with this. I know, pathetic, but I enjoy it and I've had some success in the past. So here it is. The seed of the playoff teams is in parenthesis AFC EAST New England Patriots* (2) 12-4 New York Jets 7-7 Buffalo Bills 7-7 Miami Dolphins 4-12 AFC NORTH Pittsburgh Steelers* (3) 11-5 Cincinnati Bengals* (5) 11-5 Baltimore Ravens 9-7 Cleveland Browns 3-13 AFC SOUTH Indianapolis Colts* (1) 15-1 Houston Texans 9-7 Tennessee Titans 6-10 Jacksonville Jaguars 4-12 AFC WEST Kansas City Chiefs* (4) 10-6 Denver Broncos* (6) 10-6 Oakland Raiders 8-8 San Diego Chargers 7-9 NFC EAST New York Giants* (4) 9-7 Dallas Cowboys 8-8 Washington 6-10 Philadelphia Eagles 5-11 NFC NOR...