Skip to main content

Conversations With A 98-Year-Old Grandmother - Part IV: The WTF Tales

My grandmother told me three stories tonight.

"One time when me and Jack (my grandfather) were younger.  Your father wasn't born yet. We rented a house for $37 a month.  We had a great big porch and had a party.  Everyone was drinking and I went and got a glass jar of mayonnaise and threw it against the wall.  Everyone looked at me, so I told them not to worry. Hell, we didn't own the place."

GM: You know how people in the movies drink a glass of champagne and then throw the glass in the fireplace?
Me: Yes.
GM: Well when I was younger I always wanted to do that.
Me: OK, did you?
GM: Of course I did.
Me: I don't remember you having a fireplace in Olney.
GM: Oh no.  I waited til I was at someone else's house to do it. I wasn't going to break my champagne glasses.
Me: Of course.

GM: Did you know my brother Bill?
Me: I don't know, I may have met him once.
GM: Well he couldn't swim.
Me: OK.
GM: Well he was younger and was staying with us at this house over the summer.  We liked to swim.
Me: Oh that must have been fun for him.
GM: Your father couldn't swim either.
Me: Really?
GM: Well he was four.
Me: Oh. 
GM: Well one day I wanted to go swimming and I was mad that he and your father couldn't swim, so I talked my brother into taking the barn door off the hinges.  So we carried it down to the river with a peach basket.  We put the basket on the door, put your father in the basket and we got a stick to push off of the land.  We went all the way down the river.  There were a lot of rapids and my brother could have drowned if we tipped over. 
Me: And my dad.
GM: Oh he was fine.  Well Jack came home and saw the door missing and came looking for us.  Bill helped him put it back on but he wasn't happy and told us it was dangerous.  I guess it was, but who cares, I was bored and they couldn't swim.

Sometimes I seriously wonder how this woman survived.

She didn't tell it this time, but there are two drunken stories that took place at parties and two baby sitting stories. 

One night she was invited to a party of her husband's co-worker or boss.  They had a beautiful flower bed in front of their house and my grandmother and one of her friends admired it on their way in.  They got really drunk and my grandfather cut them off.  Angry that they weren't being served alcohol, they took his car keys and proceeded to do donuts on the front lawn and crushed all the flowers.  I don't think they were invited to the next party.

Another time she was at a party and, as she put it, a little tipsy.  There was a rather large woman sitting next to her and she kept looking at her arm.  As she describes it "she had this big flabby arm and I was so hungry."  So she bit the woman's arm and I believe drew blood. 

Obviously, she was rarely left alone with me when I was a child.  One time I remember I asked if I could have a banana.  She said sure and I ate the banana.  She said "I bet you can't eat another one."  So I ate a second.  The pattern continued until I ate four of them (I think I was about 8).  In the middle of the night I had the worst stomach pains and constipation.    Her answer the next more when asked why I was allowed to eat four bananas - "He was hungry!"

Then there was the time my brother was a little kid and she bopped him lightly on the head with an aluminum baseball bat.  He cried and my father yelled "why would you do that?"  She said very calmly "I wanted to see what he'd do."

Seriously, she was "shit my father says, 75 years ago!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her