Skip to main content

The Ten (or maybe more) Greatest Films of All-Time

In the last week and a half, I have written blogs about the best movies of each decade.  I had started this last year, but never followed up.  I broke down, reverse chronological order every decade from 2000-2009 to the 1930's.  Only one film before 1930 would have received 5-stars and that was F.W. Marnau's Nosferatu.  The first real Dracula movie.  Still resonates today and in my opinion is still the best vampire movie ever made.  Sorry Twilight fans.  The only one that even comes close is the Swedish picture Let The Right One In, which was remade in America as Let Me In, which is magnificent in its own right and probably #3 on my list of Vampire films.  The Japanese film, Thirst should also be noted, as nobody I know has seen it, and it's very interesting.

To make my ultimate top ten list I looked over all of the decade lists and started to narrow them down.  Out of the eighty-one films to make my list, I easily cut it down to thirty-seven films.  Now the hard part, because so many of these movies are great in such different ways.  This was going to be nearly impossible.  How can you choose between war movies like Patton and Apocalypse Now?  Period pieces like Becket and Hero?  Gangster greats like the first two Godfather's and Miller's Crossing?  I can't.  So I've decided to go with my top twenty five.  Since I've given a synopsis of the movies in the decade lists, I'll only leave little notes on each. 

So here it is.  In my humble opinion, the top ten movies of all-time

Honorable mention (or those that missed the boat): Fantasia, On the Waterfront, Citizen X, The Virgin Spring, Let the Right One In, Hero, Giant, Star Wars, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, No Country for Old Men, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  The last two didn't make the cut because I've only seen them once and can't judge their watchability.

25. Patton - the single greatest acting performance by an actor.  George C. Scott
24. Becket - Richard Burton & Peter O'Toole. Enough said.
23. The Bad News Bears - if you love sports an political incorrectness, you'll love this movie.
22. Apocalypse Now - Sheen, Brando, Hopper in one of the greatest war movies ever made.
21. Hard Eight - one of, if not the most underrated performances of all-time.  Philip Baker Hall.
20. Young Frankenstein - the funniest movie ever made.
19. Grand Illusion - Jean Renoir's masterpiece.  A study in the humanity that lies within us all.
18. Magnolia - A plethora of stars that actually works this time.  And what a soundtrack by Aimee Mann.
17. Cinema Paradiso - hands down the greatest ending scene of any movie I've ever seen. I cry every time.
16. Nosferatu - Vampire story?  It's a story of loneliness and the need for the human touch.
15. The Godfather II - Deniro's Italian speaking only role is amazing.  Almost as good as the original.
14. The African Queen - my favorite movie for years.  Hepburn and Bogart are movie chemistry magic.
13. The Godfather - Everyones (but mine) favorite mob movie.  Even I was shocked it didn't break top ten.
12. Miller's Crossing - Sorry to my Italian friends, but this Irish mob movie is just a little better.
11. Lethal Weapon - before I really started seeing cinema as an art, this was my favorite. Still packs a punch.

And now, the top ten:

10. OldBoy - Korean masterpiece that is completely indescribable.  Better every time I see it.
9. The Believer - makes American History X look like a Disney movie.  Riveting Neo-Nazi tale with Gosling.
8. The Seven Samurai - Kurasawa's masterpiece is still today one of the most copied films.
7. The Lion In Winter - Hepburn, O'Toole, Hopkins. Incredible historical film. It disects a family at odds.
6. To Kill  A Mockingbird - arguably the greatest "hero" in film.  Atticus Finch's name resonates even today.
5. Jaws - the most realistic horror movie ever.   Helps that it has three incredible actors banding together.
4. Silence of the Lambs - Hopkins and Foster are dynamic.  Greatest villain outshines greatest hero.  Wow!
3. The Seventh Seal - the most thought provoking, non-documentary I've ever seen. Bergman's finest.
2. Twelve Angry Men - the greatest filmed "play" ever, with a cast that is brilliant.  Lee J. Cobb is the best!
1. The Killer - a Chinese shoot 'em up.  Maybe not the greatest in terms of acting or plot, but if I had to pick one movie to be stuck with for the rest of my life, it would be this one.  Non-stop action, great buddy film, with a good sub-plot and hands down the craziest and most operatic ending of any action film.  John Woo's classic that changed the way action movies are made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her