Skip to main content

Conversation With A 98-Year-Old Grandmother

Setting: 9:30 Thursday morning. Coffee is made, her yogurt mixed with banana, topped with cut strawberries is waiting with a half a bagel. She arrives at the table.

GM will be GrandMa
Me will be Me

GM: Oh look everything is ready.
Me: Yep, did you want the half a bagel or a waffle?
(whispering under my breath) A waffle because you've already made a bagel.
GM: A waffle! This coffee is iced cold.
Me: OK, it was out about two minutes, I'll microwave it.
GM: Why don't you just microwave it.
Me: OK
GM: Do you want the sports section?
Me: Sure
GM: Here's the sports section.
Me: Thanks.
GM: (with me still making breakfast for myself) Did the Phillies win?
Me: I don't know I'll let you know in a second.
GM: Let me know if they did.
Me: OK. Can I get you anything else.
GM: Yes, when you go upstairs can you sharpen my eye liner?
Me: Yes. Do you want anything else to eat or drink?
GM: No. Later we'll go to Kim's house and see the kids and go swimming.
Me: We'll see, plus, why don't we wait for the weekend when the kids are home from school.
GM: When we go later, you can swim.
Me: That's OK. I think it's going to rain later.
GM: It's only ten minutes away, it doesn't matter.
Me: We'll see, I don't want to go and be stuck in the house.
GM: (looking through the paper) It's going to rain today.
Me: I know. Oh the Phillies won.
GM: I miss Philadelphia they always had the games on, here, ehhh
Me: They are five games ahead of Atlanta. You like golf, the U.S. Open is on from today until Sunday.
GM: Tiger isn't playing an I don't know any of the other guys.
Me: Mickelson is playing.
GM: I'm going to watch the view...even though it's stupid.
Me: Ok, maybe we'll watch it Sunday when it's the last day.
GM: Those kids were great last night.
Me: What kids?
GM: The kids in that movie we watched (Night of the Hunter).
Me: They were. Did you know the guy who played the young husband was Peter Graves from Mission Impossible?
GM: You have to drive me to McKinley's drug store later so I can get my great grandaughter a graduation card.
Me: OK, once Heather leaves.
GM: Why not now?
Me: We're eating.
GM: Go get the Adirondack chair out of the garage.
Me: I will when you go outside.
GM: I'm finished with my coffee.
Me; Did you take your pills?
GM: No, can I have some juice (I get up and pour it). Not so much.
Me: (I start doing dishes). Do you need anything else?
GM: Yes, I need my eye liner sharpened and you have to take me to the drug store before we go to Kim's.
Me: I'll sharpen the eye liner in a minute and we'll go to get the card after Heather leaves.
GM: I'm going outside.
Me: OK.

about an hour later

GM: Watch me go down the stairs.
Me: Can you wait til Heather comes?
GM: OH OK (she starts to walk down the stairs).
Me: Grandma, please wait til Heather gets here.
GM: Why should I?
Me: (A knock at the door - it's Heather) Grandma wait two seconds.
GM: Get me the adirondack chair.
Me: I will later. (I go to get a drink and see Heather getting the chair).
GM: Jonathan!!!
Me: Yes, Grandma.
GM: Do you want to sit in the Adirondack chair?
Me: Maybe later.
GM: OK

two minutes later

GM: Jonathan!!!
Me: Yes.
GM: We're walking to McKinley's to get the car since you don't want to go.
Me: I said we'd go later. After Heather leaves (Heather assures me it's a few blocks away and not too far).
GM: OK, well get ready to go to Kim's.
Me: We'll go when the kids get home or maybe when the weather is nicer.
GM: OK, but the kids don't have to be around, you work with kids, you don't need to see them.
Me: Let's play it by ear and see if it's raining.
GM: OK. See if there is a movie on tonight.
Me: (Whispering to myself) We're watching Se7en! What's in the box!!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her