Skip to main content

Best Films Of The Decade 1970-1979

This is probably the decade I'd get the most shit about, because these are the films that we were first introduced to in my generation and they are held dear in our hearts.  These are the ones that we watched alongside our parents and the ones we will watch alongside our children.  Can't see gathering around the fire to watch Jackass with the little ones, but who knows.  Notably absent from my top ten list are all the Woody Allen films.  Some of them are great, but few hold up today.  Most of Mr. Allen's new films don't hold up today.  You won't see the Exorcist, because there is a much better horror film which arrived in the 70's.  Alien isn't here, because it lost some luster when it's sequel far surpassed it.  The Monty Python movies, while hilarious, don't really entertain for two full hours.  Clockwork Orange and Taxi Driver were just a little too slow paced to keep my attention.   The two films I'd probably get the most argument for are One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and The Deer Hunter.  Cuckoo, the adaptation of the Ken Kesey novel was exactly like the book in many ways.  Slow, dark and in the end, not exactly sure what it's message was.  I didn't like the book when I read it and felt the movie fell flat.  The two best performances are Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratchet and the silent kid.  Sadly, ninety percent of the movie is Jack Nicholson and for me it doesn't work.  You have to remember, when I saw this, I had already seen Five Easy Pieces, The Last Detail and Easy Rider, so I knew what he was capable of.  Then there is the Deer Hunter.  To some the quintessential 70's movie.  I've seen the movie at least five times, from start to finish, and aside from Christopher Walkens Russian roulette scenes, the movie is a complete bore.  Sure it has a wonderful cast, but they don't deliver.  I also realize that when this came out, sentiment about  the Vietnam war was very different than it is today and that played a huge part in the movies success.  To me, it is another casualty of time. 

So what did make the list?  I had twelve 5-star movies to choose from and almost left one off the list that is a definite top five.  So two didn't make the cut and one of them will be a shocker.  The first is The Man Who Would be King, starring Sean Connery and Michael Caine. A fabulous movie, but stiff competition bumped it.  Then there is the next next film to get bumped, which if anyone actually reads this, will raise some eyebrows. Rocky!  I love the movie and I know many feel it's the greatest sports movie of all time, but honestly, this years The Fighter played a role in it getting bumped.  In this writers opinion, it is definitely not in the conversation for best sports movie anymore, because it's not even the best boxing movie ever made.  It's up for debate, but not right now.  On to the top ten of the decade.

10. Blazing Saddles - One of the funniest movies ever made.  In a time where All In The Family was killing us at home, this politically incorrect tale was incredible.  The wonderful thing about this movie is that it couldn't be made today.  Family Guy gets away with stuff because it's a cartoon, but could you imagine Will Smith rubbing his hand and turning it over pretending he was rubbing the black off?  While the movie somewhat gets lost in the final fifteen minutes, the beginning and middle are so gut busting funny, you can let the ending go.  Gene Wilder, Harvey Korman, Madeline Kahn and Cleavon Little nail every joke.  Even the bit characters like Alex Karras as Mongo are memorable.  A classic comedy.

9. Star Wars - the first Star Wars is special.  To me it is the best of the six movies.  It was 1977 and this was completely different than anything I'd ever seen.  I remember standing in line for hours to see this with my father.  It was worth every second.  Sure, now you look back and realize the acting wasn't that great, but it was good enough and there haven't been too many sci-fi movies that have surpassed it, if any.  Just remember the first time you saw a stormtrooper.  Amazing right?

8. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - I realize the movie had about a $16 budget, but that's what make it so incredible.  No name actors and low budget effects, made you believe that just possibly, every awful scene was real. The grainy film is now being used in crap like Blair Witch and is seen as genius.  Here you have everything a horror film needs.  A creepy location, creepy locals, ridiculously scary bad guy and a bunch of goofy teen/young adults who seem dumber than dirt.  The great thing about this movie is that most of the horror is actually taking place away from the screen.  Something that is hard to do.  I dare you to watch something like Saw and then watch TCM and not be impressed.  What's even more impressive is watching it now and realizing how many movies have stolen scenes or ideas from it.

7. Patton - The single greatest performance by an actor ever.  George C. Scott is brilliant as the famous general.  From the opening monologue to the finale, he commands your attention like no other.  This is a long film and the first time I ever saw it, I rewound it (yes I'm that old) and watched it again.  He's that good.  Some may find it tedious, but it's a tour de force.  Co-star Karl Malden is the perfect person to play opposite the robust Scott.  For anyone who likes war movies, this is a must.  Maybe not the best war movie of all-time, but definitely the best singular performance.

6.  The Bad News Bears - In my opinion, the single best sports movie ever.  Walter Mathau is absolutely perfect as the beer drinking coach (when I heard they were making a sequel I said to my father "this is killing me, but if they do this and don't have Billy Bob Thornton as coach I won't watch."  They did and it wasn't half bad). Young Tatum O'Neill was excellent as his daughter/star pitcher.  Funny that Kelly Leak was played by Jackie Earle Hayley, who is only now breaking out as a star.  The movie is great on so many levels.  It's Rocky with kids, but funny.  It too is a complete slap in the face to political correctness.  What other movie could get away with a little kid spouting off "All we got on this team are a bunch of Jews, Spics, niggers, pansies and a booger-eatin' moron!"  And we all laughed!

5. Apocalypse Now - I remember being at home with a babysitter when my parents came home from seeing this.  My father explained that I couldn't see it, but he'd make sure I could when I was of age.  A few years later VHS came out and I believe this was one of the first movies we rented.  I was amazed.  This slow journey down a river was so riveting.  Then they reached their destination and the movie got even weirder and better.  This coupled with the fact that the background during the closing credits, somewhats lets you draw your own conclusions as to the finale, works on so many levels.  When you read about all the trouble making this film it's astonishing.  Anyone who loves this film should read see the documentary on its making called Heart of Darkness.  The title comes from the Joseph Conrad novel from which the film is based.

4. Young Frankenstein - To me, this is the funniest movie of all time.  I still bellow with laughter when watching it for the 40th, or is it 50th time.  Wilder is at his best, Kahn too, but Peter Boyle is hilarious as the monster.  The young, beautiful Teri Garr is also wonderful.    All that being said, the best scene is probably the cigar scene with Boyle and Gene Hackman, as the blind man.  Or every scene with Marty Feldman, "her name was Abby, Abby Normal."

3. The Godfather II - I know, I'm one of those few who likes the first one more than the second.  I loved Deniro, but the all Italian scenes were long winded.  That is not to detract from the greatness of this film, but I find that there are just some parts of it, that don't stand up to the original.  Plus, the absence of Marlon Brando and James Caan is a huge loss in my opinion.  My favorite scenes from II are those with Michael Gazzo as Frankie Pentangeli (Frankie Five Fingers). 

2.  The Godfather - I'm sure right now everyone is wondering what the hell could be #1.  The Godfather is better than it's sequel for three main reasons.  The wedding scene (which takes about a half hour), Sonny and Luca Brazi's murders and finally Duvall and the Hollywood big wig.  I'm not even talking about the horse head, I'm talking about their conversation.  Probably my favorite part of the movie.  Brando's death and the final scene of the movie are absolutely classic. 

1. Jaws - Yes, the best movie of the 70's and I'd guess one of the top ten best of all-time.  Jaws is so good, because it's relevant.  Until sharks stop swimming, this will hold it's weight.  The reality that this can and does happen makes this all the scarier.  Combine the possibility of this horrific terror with a cast of Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider and Robert Shaw....fucking Robert Shaw! and you've got a slam dunk.  Obviously the "fishing" scenes are spectacular and lines like "we're going to need a bigger boat" are classic, but the tattoo scene is the finest of the movie.  In all my years of being a film buff (note: not the same as being a movie fab), I've seen this movie in part, or in whole, more than any other movie. It loses nothing after repeated viewings and in some ways I feel I gain more from it after each time.  Maybe not the fine acting of the Godfather, but the the fact that there is never a dull moment and there has been nothing like it since, makes this my top movie of the decade.

Comments

  1. My list is coming but Outlaw Josey Wales belongs in the top 10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Clint Eastwood movies, but never thought they were actually good movies. I actually think his best movie might have been he one that takes place in New Orleans. Not sure if it's a Dirty Harry movie.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

11 Rules of Life - Bill Gates?

I read this on Facebook this morning.  A friend had posted it and said that every child should have to receive this. I of course read it and started to think.  I immediately wondered who really wrote this, as I rarely see things like this attributed to the proper person.  I immediately found it was written by Conservative Charles J. Sykes when he wrote a book about how America is dumbing down our youth.  I read it twice and started to wonder how true it was.  Below is a link to the actual picture I saw. So let's look at each of the rules and analyze them. Rule 1: Life is not fair — get used to it! - Life is not fair in that we are not all afforded the same opportunities based on race, creed, color, socio-economic background, but in general, those who are afforded the same opportunities to succeed are very often rewarded for their individual efforts.  Sure there may be underlying circumstances, but hard work is proven to pay more often than not and those who strive for succ

Quickie Review - Finding Vivian Maier

While I thoroughly enjoyed the film, especially the first 15-20 minutes, I was a little bothered by the way the film played out. The interviews with the clearly disturbed brother, sister and the mother, who obviously, was in for a cut, didn't need to be in the film. Then the woman who suggested abuse, yet seemed to have her life defined by Maier, as she tried to muster every ounce of emotion and fake guilt. Her friend, more than happy to be party of the charade. People who talk about abuse for the first time, usually don't do so on camera. The fact these scenes were so prominent, shows that they felt wronged that they were not rewarded. Maloof on the other hand, seems to disappear from the documentary during this part, almost hiding away from the fact, he went from complete praise, to even making money off of her, to destroying her personal legacy. He almost mentions the family of boys taking care of her rent, as an afterthought. Her burial spot, never shown, yet a video of her

White Privilege

This was a post I wrote on Facebook after surprisingly not seeing any moaning about the Documentary by Jose Antonio Vargas, titled White People Dayyum! I just scrolled my timeline and not a single white person got their feelings hurt by White People. I unfortunately haven't seen it, but the number of fake accounts that popped up on twitter, tells me it was a damn good show. Here's the thing. If someone of color aka non-white says "White Privilege," are you offended? If you said yes, then you are exhibiting white privilege. It has nothing to do with how hard you work or study, how you stayed out of trouble, because here's the thing, that is entirely the point. Somewhere out there, there are 100 Black, Spanish, Native American, Arab, Asian, who worked and studied as hard as you and never got in trouble, but they don't have what you "earned" or achieved. Stop looking at the one person you know who isn't white that achieved as your benchmark. Loo